JCP-001 and JCP-002 installation instructions
The EZ-Just © idle mixture needle for Keihin carburetors
These products (JCP-001 and JCP-002 are designed to be used on Keihin CVK40 (CV) and Keihin butterfly carburetors used on Harley Davidson, Kawasaki and some other brands. The JCP-002 is specifically designed for use on the Keihin butterfly carburetors used on Harley Davidson (HD) motorcycles and the JCP-001 was specifically designed for the Keihin CVK40 (CV) carburetors used on Harley Davidson motorcycles. The JCP-001 has been successfully used on other Keihin CV carburetors such as the CVK used on Kawasaki motorcycles. I cannot guarantee that it will work on other than the Harley Davidson CV carburetors.
The following steps outline the procedure for installing the Keihin Constant Velocity (CV) and Butterfly (BF) EZ-Just © idle mixture needle screws. We suggest having the appropriate service manual available for reference.
1. Following the proper service manual, remove the carburetor from your motorcycle.
2. Locate the soft aluminum plug that seals the idle mixture adjustment needle screw. On the CV carburetor, it is on the bottom toward the spigot end of the carburetor. On the BF carburetor, it is located on the top toward the flange end.
Note: The plug may have been removed in order to tune or rebuild the carburetor. If so, proceed to step 5.
3. This step requires a 1/8" drill and short self-tapping sheet metal screw. Drill into the plug approximately 1/8-1/4". Be very careful not to go to deep and damage the needle screw.
4. Screw the sheet metal screw into the hole in the plug. Pull the plug and screw out together with a pair of pliers.
5. With a small flat bladed screwdriver, remove the idle mixture needle.
CAUTION! There is a spring, washer and o-ring under the needle! Do not loose these! If they are missing, order my repacking kit JCP-003
Note: The EZ-Just needle is shown for reference only
6. Install the new needle into the carburetor make sure the spring and washer are installed correctly! From the adjustment knob end it is Spring, Washer, O-ring.
7. Turn the needle in until it gently seats. Then, back out 1 ½ turns. This establishes a starting point for final adjustment.
8. Following the service manual, reinstall the carburetor.
9. After installing the carburetor, check for fuel leaks.
10. Start the engine and warm up to operating temperature.
11. Adjust the idle mixture for proper engine operation. Turning the needle in leans the mixture. Turning it out richens the mixture. See note below.
Note: EPA and most states require that the idle mixture be set to a standard. The adjustable needle is meant to allow you to adjust your idle mixture properly. Failure to do so will violate state and federal law.
For assistance please visit the support forum at Bike-Talk.com
Notice: This product was formerly developed/owned by CCP, the product line of Direct Parts - all rights transferred to CV Performance.
Copyright © 2007-2010 [Johns Motorcycle Parts]. All rights reserved.